This treat (what my husband likes to call "the ultimate chick food") is an easy to make, handheld appetizer that you can serve up hot, or store in the fridge and eat cold. Either way it's absolutely delicious and I KNOW you'll love it!
Because... well it has brie cheese on it... is there anything better than brie cheese?
Sweet Chili and Brie Flatbread (makes 6 small slices)
- 1 pocketless pita flatbread (cut into 6 pie shaped pieces)
- 6 tsp thai sweet chili sauce
- handful of arugula
- 1 onion, caramelized in 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp dried cranberries
- 3 tsp chopped walnuts
- 6 generous slices brie cheese
- 1 pear (or apple) cut into long thin slices (optional)
1) Preheat your oven to 350F. Cut up your flatbread into 6 pie-shaped slices and place on a cookie tray (I like to cook on parchment paper as well), for easy prep place in a line joining the cuts to make one long piece.
2) Spread 1 tsp thai sweet chili sauce on each slice. Top each with a bit of arugula, 1/2 tsp dried cranberries, and 1/2 tsp chopped walnuts. Essentially you just want a little bit of each of these ingredients on each piece!
3) Time to caramelize your onion! peel and slice the onion VERY thin. Add to a pan over medium-high heat with a little bit of oil and cook about 3 minutes. Next, sprinkle your sugar on top and stir slowly until the onions begin to turn a nice dark brown. This will take a few minutes but try not to step too far from the stove, if the sugar burns the onions will harden, leaving you with a slightly onion-tasting toffee (which is delicious but a little tough for this dish!). As soon as the onions are ready, spread over your slices.
4) You're nearly done! Add a generous slice of brie to the top of each piece (and then the apple/pear if you're using it) and pop them in the oven for about 4 minutes. You want the cheese to get a little melty, but not TOO melty.
Serve these up right away and watch your guests drool over how tasty they are! Or alternatively eat all 6 by yourself for dinner (no judgement here!).
So I want to know: What's your favourite way to serve up a cheesy appetizer?! Let me know in the comments.
xxox - Laura