I Love finding new recipes.
A few months ago, my mom snagged this one out of the newspaper, and it's quickly become one of my favourites! Wok Fried Lamb with Cumin.
If you love cumin, ginger and coriander, this is about to become your new favourite meal!
Wok Fried Lamb with Cumin (serves 4)
- 500g boneless lean lamb cut into 1/4" strips (Or bone in, because it's delicious, just account for weight)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (or powder)
- hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled + julienne
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
1) Place lamb in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper ans sprinkle with the cornstarch. Mix with your fingers to combine. Set aside.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a wok on medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the cumin and dried peppers.
3) When spices begin to sizzle, add the lamb, ginger and garlic. Toss well to coat.
4) Stir fry for a few minutes, until lamb is slightly browned but still a little pink
5) Add the sesame oil, cilantro and onions, cook until vegetables are soft and transfer to a serving dish.
Wasn't that easy! The prep and cook time for this meal is less than 30 once you get the hang of it, and the result is delicious! Serve with a side of couscous, it compliments the meal perfectly!
Lamb is expensive. Every now and then it's on sale and I make this meal as intended, but most of the time my budget won't allow it. When that happens, I do one of the following
1) Make the meal the same way, but use cubed chicken (and cook thoroughly!) with some red peppers thrown in for some extra flavour. delicious!
2) Use thin strips of beef as your meat, and include some peppers for colour, along with some soy sauce to get a bit more of a saucy base, then serve over rice!
Bon Appetit !